Saturday, May 17, 2008

Professor Zhou Xiyuan of BJPT


When people demand an investigation in the build quality of school buildings collapsed in the Sichuan Earthquake, Professor Zhou concluded that school buildings were structurally weaker therefore it is normal to see them collapse first.

Regardless of the absurd of Zhou's theory, of which the only evident he could find to back is that in the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake, a school building collapsed, it is such a shame for Professor to jump out at this time. Telling from the construction materials revealed in the collapsed school building, it's obviously that they were not built by code. Even blind people will be able to smell the rat.

Rotten Index: ♣

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Professor Zhou,
I understand your criticism of the NED well. In fact, after my first few days in the NED, I found out its funding to Tibet and oversea dissidents, I was shocked and subsequently had a long discussion with Carl Gershman, the chairman of the NED, and expressed my view that if the NED really wants to push Chinese democratization in China, it should spend more money in China and develop programs with Chinese governments. Of course, my suggestion was not taken, and I was told that the NED never develops any program with any government. There are many nice peoples in the NED; and I am in the international forum for democratic studies, an excellent research program, where I met all distinguished scholars from all the world, and where I indeed completed my first draft of Rural Democracy in China (The book was publshed last year, it has a book review in Asian Time, see http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/JB02Ad01.html.
I wish this message finds you well and wish that we should develop a more open and tolerent attitude toward these scholars who just happened staying for a short time at one of instituions which you don't like.
With best regards!
He Baogang